Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Professionals Life is divided into Thirds

Pulitzer Prize winner George Will had an interesting column titled “Basement Boys” in NEWSWEEK about how young people today seem to be perpetual adolescents.

I really enjoyed this profound observation, ready--steady--go!:

“Playboy magazine, a harbinger of perpetual adolescence, sold trinkets for would-be social dropouts.

Join the beat generation! Buy a beat generation tieclasp.

Think about that.”

Ha! Let's be nonconformist with a beatnik tie clasp! For shame!


The Beat Generation was criticized as perpetual adolscents

But George has a point; today’s young professionals are spending the first third of their lives getting ready to enter the workplace!


Are George Will & Alfalfa related?

I did not enter the workforce until I was 27 years old, and my son will not finish law school (actually a joint J.D./M.B.A. degree) until he is 30 years old, spending more than one-third of the average life expectancy for his generation (75 years):


The American professional’s life is divided into thirds

That’s when it hit me! My father’s life was divided into thirds, mine is divided into thirds, and my son’s professional career will also be divided into three stages!

Read my notes on the three stages of life for the American Professional.