Finding the best 22 caliber target bullet for your rifle requires through testing.
I did a heap of ammo testing with my three top 22 caliber target rifles:
- CZ-452 Luz: 22 bolt action
- Savage 64: With telescopic sight
- Enfield Model 1917: No magazine 22 sniper training rifle
Every 22 target rifle has a specific “taste” for bullets, and testing with a bench rest and scope at 50 yards is the only reliable way to see what your 22 rifle likes to eat.
In my tests, the ballistic characteristics of the best ammo for a 22 caliber target rifle was simple:
- Low velocity 22 ammo is better: Without exception, the “low velocity”, “subsonic” and “standard velocity” 22 bullets shot tighter groups.
- Expensive is better than cheap: More expensive 22 bullets consistently shot tighter groups with less “flyers”. You get what you pay for.
See my notes on the best 22 caliber target bullets