Sunday, March 11, 2007

$3m paid on eBay for fake Kennedy assassin window?

Window framed for $3m?

eBay is the theives den, with thousands of fakes and frauds offered up every day. But every now and then we see something special, like the alleged Hitler oil painting that was offered on eBay.

This eBay auction closed for over $3m, prompting a debate over the authenticity of the window frame allegedly used in the Texas school book depository when Oswald assassinated President Kennedy.



"Up for auction for the first time, the actual window and frame from the shooter’s nest on the 6th floor of the Dallas Texas School Book Depository where Lee Harvey Oswald fired off those fatal shots that took the life of our 35th President of the United States - John F. Kennedy.

Here is your opportunity to own a piece of history. This window and frame was on display for over ten years at the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, Texas."

However, this fellow claims that it’s a fraud and he owns the real window:

"Aubrey Mayhew wants to warn potential bidders that they’re about to get fleeced out of $3 million-plus.

Mayhew, a longtime
collector of JFK memorabilia as well as a country-music producer (he produced a new CD by Dale Watson which comes out this spring), challenges the authenticity of the eBay auction because he claims to have it himself, and promises that the seller is perpetrating a fraud.

"Anybody that is connected to the Kennedy situation knows that this is a fraud," Mayhew says, from his home in Nashville, Tenn.


"I'm a collector and have been for 40 years. I don't go out in public, I don't have an ego, and I don't exploit my collection. I'm not trying to prove anything. I don't collect for profit. But I know it's the original window. I know it's real, like everything else I have."

Interesting, the winning bidder us now NARU, and their purchase history does not include big ticket items, mostly stuff under $100. Looks like a publicity scam to me . . . .