Friday, December 12, 2008

Tommy Burns: Fight promoter of Dublin

I just love this interweb thingy, it’s great for finding obscure information.

But it’s much easier now. Using the internet I was quickly able to publish information about my great Uncle Tommy Burns and his wife Polly Burns, the world champion woman boxer.
Because of this simple blog post, I just had a new friend send me these great new photos of a Tommy Burns, poising with some of the leading heavyweights if the early 20th century:



In the first half of the 20th century, my great uncle Tommy Burn’s was a leading fight promoter in Dublin. The Burns clan was well-respected in Ireland, but Tommy was by far the most popular and outgoing.


The dapper Tommy Burns!

I vividly remember my Grandma tell me tall tales of her brother Tommy, some of which I won’t repeat because I have not yet been able to verify them. I’m going to continue my research in the hope of getting more information on this remarkable man.

Well, today I got a note from Patrick Joseph Dillon, the grandson of Tommy Burns and Polly!

http://www.dba-oracle.com/genealogy/burns_tommy.htm

The most thrilling part is that Patrick has found the movie about Polly the Pugalist!

Patrick also remembers Tommy Burns firsthand:

"Tommy's real name was James Alphonsus Thomas Burns and he was born in 1890. His father's name was John and a brother was also John, both dentists.

He was well known around Dublin and always wore a western style hat.

He drove an American car, I believe it was a Studebaker. The back wheels were half covered by the mudguard. I can still remember the smell of the leather. He paid for my oldest brother Tommy, my sister Pauline and myself to have private education."