I was in the first grade in 1961, and eveybody was into the energing "space age", with bright visions of the future.
This article about the year 2000 has some interesting predictions from 1961:
- Doors will open automatically
- You'll have a home electronics center where messages will be recorded when you're away from home.
- The status symbol of the year 2000 will be the home computer.
- Cooking will be in solar ovens with microwave controls.
- There will be machines doing the work of clerks, shorthand writers and translators.
- Machines will "talk" to each other.
- Our children will learn from TV, recorders and teaching machines. They will get pills to make them learn faster.
However, Some predictions from 1961 were a tad off:
- you will think nothing of taking a fortnight's holiday in outer space.
- Food will be different with instant bread and sugar made from sawdust.
- Medically induced growth of amputated limbs will be possible.
- Mail and newspapers will be reproduced instantly anywhere in the world.
- The family car engine will be smaller than a typewriter. Cars will travel overland on an 18 inch air cushion.
- By the year 2020, five per cent of the world's population will have emigrated into space.