Monday, April 26, 2010

The nightmare of non-alphabetical names!

In my baby naming guidelines for foreigners I personally don’t think it right to name your child Shitaqua, Spooge, Dooshe, Maboob, Butt, Wang, Balldeep, Nad, Poob, or of course, Furpie.

As a computer person, nothing pisses me off worse than parents who give their kids bizarre non-conformant names with embedded non-alphabetical characters.



I remember the case of a Vietnamese fellow named “N” who was forced to choose a two-character name because the computer would not accept a one character name.

We all remember “Prince” who changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol:


The musician formally known as prince: How do you pronounce this dumb name?

And I don’t like names that sound like something else, like my cousin Drewell Burleson. He is a nice guy, but I always giggle because his name sounds like Drool . . . .

And don't get me started on idiots that put non-alphabetic characters in kids names . . .

Le-a = Ledasha: The dash is not silent!

How would you pronounce this child's name, "Le-a"?

Leah?? WRONG
Lee - A?? NO
Lay - a?? NOPE
Lei?? Guess Again.

It turns out that Le-a is pronounced "Ledasha", because the dash is not silent!

This child attends a school in Kansas City, Missouri and her idiot mother is irate because everyone is saying her name wrong.

When the Mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she replied, and I quote:

"The dash don't be silent."

This is too weird to make up . . . .