Monday, March 08, 2010

An American gentleman never bows to Royalty

I noticed this book on Brooks Brothers “How to be a Gentleman” and I bought a copy to see if it's right for my young executives.

It's odd, they don't teach manners or golf in MBA school, and they are both required to be a successful business person. . . .



On page 139 under the section “Meeting Royalty” the book notes that even the lowliest American hippie should never bow, or even nod in deference to a King, Queen or Emperor:

“There is nothing casual about an encounter with royalty . . .

If a gentleman is a citizen of the United States, he does not bow or even nod his head to another countries ruler”.

Now, I'm not the most polished gentleman, but every American knows that even an American hippie never bows to a King or Queen, America fought a war for that right.

Every American gentleman knows this . . .



Don't get me started . . . .