Monday, May 17, 2010

Best forged golf irons for 2010

I tried out all of the 2010 irons and as a mid handicapper (25-ish), I was blown away by the Callaway Diablo forged Irons.

See my notes on IMHO, the best golf irons for 2010 for mid handicappers

Foremost, I appreciate the craftsmanship of a fine piece of forged steel, but its all beauty that makes a great iron.

Callaway technology has figured out a way to forge a cavity back iron making these the top forged irons for 2010, far easier to hit that the traditional “blade” forged irons.


The best forged irons ever made

The Diablo forged pitching wedge is a masterpiece, perfected weighted and an iron if mass destruction that offers amazing backspin! Callaway notes:

“A high-strength 455 Carpenter Steel face is laser-welded into a soft 1020 carbon steel body, providing incredibly soft, responsive feel at impact.

The face material increases ball speeds for premium distance and allows weight to be strategically placed for better accuracy and control than a typical forged iron.”

After my own testing, I bought the 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron and pitching wedge, deadly accurate irons with great spin and feel.

I bought my 2010 irons at Dick’s Sporting Goods because you can buy individual irons.

There are two shaft choices, graphite and metal:


I went with the metal shaft irons, the best I’ve seen: